This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign withPollinate Media Group™ and Wet-Nap but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #showusyourmess http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
I’m so excited. Never did I think making my own ice cream sandwiches would be this easy. The chocolate cookie encasing the fresh mint ice cream is WAY better than store bought. You’ll never want to buy the ready made ones again.
For these Ice Cream Sandwiches, I used a homemade mint chocolate chip froyo, but you can use any of your favorite flavor of ice cream. Just let your Ice cream soften at room temperature until it is spreadable so you don’t break your cookie.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
We recently made some of our own Mint Simple Syrup, so I wanted to use that up as quickly as I could. Audrey helped me mix the yogurt mixture up for our ice cream. Her favorite part was adding the food coloring and watching the mixture turn into that minty green color. My favorite part is watching her curious expressions.
Our froyo took a little longer to freeze up than I thought it would, so if you are making these for company, I recommend making them the day before.
You don’t want to wait until the ice cream is totally solid to put your sandwich together. I just put my cookie back into the baking pan after it was cool, poured the half frozen froyo on top and sandwiched it with the other cookie.
After our cookies were ready, I took the opportunity to get the kids outside and have an Ice Cream Sandwich picnic. I put our sandwiches in a cooler along with some Wet-Naps I got at Walmart to help clean up our mess.
They’re also great to use before the meal at a picnic because they kill 99.9% of germs. I know my kids won’t be putting anything in their mouth along with their food that will make them sick.
The kids devoured their sandwiches and I was able to clean them up quickly with just one Wet-Nap.
These things are strong, but they’re also soft and they moisturize with Aloe so I don’t have to worry about drying out their little faces.
Then they were able to get on to their favorite part of the picnic, Play Time!
You can find Wet-Nap products at Walmart in the Napkin Aisle. Save .55 off any Wet-Nap product right now with this Coupon while supplies last.
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- ½ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1¼ Cup Flour
- 3 Cups of your favorite Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt Recipe Follows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a mixer and then add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined, but do not over work.
- Spread half of the dough flat in the baking pan with a spatula or clean fingers.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until darkened slightly on the edges. Remove the cookie from the pan with the parchment and cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- To assemble the ice cream sandwiches, place one cookie back in the pan along with the parchment. Top with softened Ice Cream, and then press the other cookie on top.
- Return to the freezer for 2-4 hours or until the Ice Cream has solidified. Remove from the pan and cut into 9 large squares. or 18 small bars.
- For the Frozen Yogurt: 2 Cups Vanilla Yogurt, ½ Cup Mint Simple Syrup, ½ Cup Milk, ¼ Cup Chocolate Chips, Green Food Coloring (optional)
- Whisk everything together in a large bowl and freeze for 2 hours or until thick and spreadable but not liquid.
- Spread onto Cookies for Ice Cream Sandwiches or Whisk every 30 minutes until the desired consistency.
It was a beautiful day! What kind of ice cream will you try in your sandwiches?
Carrie Robinson says
These ice cream sandwiches look amazing! My son LOVES mint chip, so he would be over the moon if I made these for him. 😉 Those Wet Naps sure did come in handy! Pinned.
Carrie Robinson recently posted…$400 Back to School Cash Giveaway!
Thank you Carrie!
Amy Greene says
Those look amazingly delicious. I want to try to make these.
Amy Greene recently posted…Fun Summer Crafts for Kids
Barb Biersteker says
I googled a few ice cream sandwich recipes to make for the grandkids. This recipe looked the easiest and fastest. I used peanut butter cup ice cream I just cut icecream slices from the square carton and added a handful of chocolate chips to the batter. They went together so fast! My husband is waiting for me to cut them now!
Yum! How did they taste?
I followed this tecipe to the letter. Cookie is dry, tasteless and crumbed so much it couldnt be used for ice cream sandwich. Definitely a Pinterest FAIL!
I’m so sorry Michelle! Don’t know what could have happened except for the temperature of the oven and cooking times. It could just be that it was cooked too much.