We planted strawberries in our front yard. They are getting ripe already, but the ants and birds won’t stay away. So there isn’t enough to make a difference let alone make this awesome Brownie Fruit Pizza. It’s a good thing strawberries were on sale this week!
While any kind of fruit is fantastic on these, I think strawberries hit the spot. They are a little more tart than blueberries and don’t mush as easy as raspberries, but you could use all three. Kiwi might be nice too. It tastes just like chocolate dipped fruit, but better!
Lately, my eldest daughter Audrey hasn’t been in the mood to cook with me. I don’t like to force it, so I asked Emma to help. Emma almost declined until I told her what we were making. It’s funny how younger siblings want to be just like the older ones.
Emma made the brownie crust. We just used a box of brownie mix to make it quick, but I substituted some apple sauce for half of the oil it called for. If you prefer a more natural approach you could try this gluten free brownie recipe instead.
I poured the brownie mix out onto my 16 x 12 inch pan to get a nice thin crust because you want the fruit layer to be about the same thickness as the brownie layer, getting just the right amount of chocolate and fruit in every bite. I baked mine for 15 minutes. At first I thought it was too done, but after I put it in the refrigerator to cool and topped it with Whipped Cream Frosting, it was perfect.
While the brownies were cooking, we whipped up my famous Whipped Cream Frosting. It is light and airy, but holds its shape. I use it for everything because I can’t stand frosting that’s too sweet.
- Brownie Mix or Brownie Recipe
- Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 Lbs Fruit - slice if needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large rimmed baking sheet (mine is 16 X 12 inch) with parchment or cooking spray.
- Prepare your brownie batter according to the box or recipe directions and pour it into your pan. Spread it evenly with a spatula if needed.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are crisp. Allow the brownies to cool completely on a rack or in the refrigerator.
- Top with whipped cream frosting and fruit. Enjoy!
This is the perfect dessert to bring to potlucks or a BBQ. It’s so simple, but looks gourmet and tastes amazing!
Warning: This dessert is dangerous. It is so light and delicious you might end up eating way too much and get a tummy ache like my husband and I. So proceed with caution 🙂