This BBQ Chicken Stromboli recipe was inspired by a sponsored post for DataRank in partner with KC Masterpiece. For more information see my full disclosure.
My husband said this was his favorite meal I’ve cooked so far. We’ve been married for 8 years so that means it’s pretty amazing! With only 5 ingredients, this BBQ Chicken Stromboli tastes like it took hours to make when it’s really ready in minutes.
Just like in all of my other recipes, I prepared the ingredients and I got one of my kids to help me in the kitchen.
Colton is getting old enough now, he can start learning about following directions and kitchen safety. I pointed out the dangers of the stove and he caught on quickly saying, “Ot, Mom. Ot!”
How to Make BBQ Chicken Stromboli
We just put a little KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce in the filling because I didn’t know if it would leak out or not.
Now I wish I would have added more because it was really good! So customize your Stromboli filling to make it the way you want by changing up the vegetables and adding more BBQ sauce.
When it comes to the dough, store bought makes this recipe really easy. But usually I mix up my homemade pizza crust ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator overnight. I just bring it out and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
At the very end, the egg wash really makes a perfect crispy crust so I don’t recommend skipping it. And it’s fun to paint on your food! Right little buddy?
- Homemade or store bought Pizza Dough divided in half
- 1 to 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (1 cup if using bell pepper)
- ½ Onion chopped
- 1½ cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 tbs KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce plus more for dipping
- ½ Red and Green Bell Pepper (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Also preheat a pan over medium-high heat on the stove. Add 1 tsp oil and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken and bell pepper (if using) and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Turn off the heat and mix in BBQ sauce to taste. Let the chicken cool as you prepare the pizza dough.
- Take one half of the pizza dough and roll it into a 10x14in rectangle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon half of the BBQ chicken along one side of a long edge leaving a 1 inch border. Cover with half of the cheese.
- Mix up an egg wash by adding a little water or milk and beating it with the egg. Brush the long edge opposite the filling with the egg wash. (Optional)
- Roll up the Stromboli by folding in the short sides first, then taking the long side closest to the filling and folding it in toward the other long edge.
- Pinch the edges shut and cover with the egg wash if you are using it.
- Repeat with the second half of the pizza dough and bake both for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown. Cut into pieces and serve with more BBQ sauce.
Yum! Crunchy on the outside and gooey in the middle with just the right amount of spice from the BBQ Sauce, these were awesome!
There are lots of other ways to make Stromboli. I’ve seen it made with biscuit dough and breakfast filling.
And isn’t the name so fun to say? Stromboli! What do you like to put in yours?
Leave a Reply