Read Across America Week Starts on March 2nd! Here are 10 creative ways to celebrate and get your children excited about reading again.
Welcome to Mom’s Library
This post is filled with parenting tips, activities for young children, crafts, devotionals, recipes, and more!
Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss the next Library!
Celebrate Read Across America
Don’t know what Read Across America Day is? It is actually Dr. Seuss’ birthday, but the NEA has helped turn it into a national event where everyone makes an extra effort to promote literacy.
What’s so important about getting children excited about reading? It is the foundation of all educational experiences for children and drastically effects their future.
Try these things to celebrate and promote literacy any day of the year, but especially during this special week!
1. Pair a story with a snack. If your reading Dr. Seuss’ One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, you’ll love this Easy Kid Snack to go with it!
2. Nothing helps children with reading comprehension like imaginative play! Try these free post office printables!
3. Active games that go along with the story or help break up story time is a great way to help children learn with their whole body.
4. Read lots of non-fiction! Some parents and teachers forget to include non-fiction in story time but it is so important! Most of what a child reads when he is an adult will be non-fiction.
6. Let children write their own stories. If they are just learning to write, you’ll love these activities for handwriting practice.
7. Book themed printable activities are a great way to help motivate children to learn through their favorite books.
8. Raising readers is all about early exposure. If you think your child is to young to listen to a great work of literature, try it and you might be surprised.
9. Pick up some books that have unique features. Some might have secrets hiding in the pages, make noises, or are just classics that can never be forgotten.
10. Since it is Dr. Seuss’ birthday, why not through him a party? Include some of these Dr. Seuss themed literacy activities!
The whole month of March is a reading celebration!
Are you celebrating Read Across America week? Tell us how, please leave a comment.
Would you like to participate in the link up?
Please follow me and support your fellow bloggers by visiting some links! Grab a button if you were featured!