Children are fascinated by bugs because there are so many different kinds and they are all so different from us. It’s important for kids to learn about different insects, not only for safety, but also because the more they know, the less frightened they are.
Here are some free preschool printables you can use to help children learn with and about different types of bugs.
My daughters are naturally spooked by creepy crawly’s, but it has really helped to read and study the friendly and dangerous bugs. They see my reaction to bugs and it isn’t always the best. Spiders are my weakness. I’d rather run away than be brave and kill them.
I’ve seen my children’s reaction to spiders and it is exactly like mine, so I made a point to try and handle myself in a calm manner and it has really helped.
Emma is the most sensitive to bugs and so we started doing these bug printables as part of her homeschooling lessons.
Counting bugs, reading books with bugs in them, and learning about bugs has really helped her. She especially liked the early reader and finished reading it all by herself pretty quickly.
Of course the most important thing is to be around bugs. Having bees has helped a little with that, but we’ll have to explore under rocks and in the dirt to get up close and personal.
Free Bug Preschool Printables
This mini pack includes 15 pages of different activities:
- Alphabet Maze
- Bug Patterns
- Clip Counting Cards 1-12
- Flash Cards
- Phonics Practice
- Early Reader
Great Books About Insects
Don’t forget to pair this mini lesson with some awesome books about bugs and other creepy crawly creatures.
1. Snakes Discovery – Snakes are another type of animal that children are naturally afraid of. That is a good thing, but you want kids to know how to handle them and the different types. This book is internet linked with websites on pages for more information.
2. Big Book of Big Bugs – With 4 giant fold out pages, this book is a children’s favorite. It makes bugs larger than life!
3. 1001 Bugs to Spot Sticker Book – Learn the names and habitats of bugs with this fun sticker book that turns into a great seek and find after you’re done placing all the beautiful stickers.
4. Bugs Beginner – This accelerated reader is the perfect introduction to more specific facts about the different kinds of bugs in the world. It is internet referenced for more bug exploration after you’re finished reading.
5. Caterpillars and Butterflies – This beginner book is filled with the beautiful life of the butterfly and has internet references in the back of the book.
6. Pocket Book of Reptiles – A kids reference book of more than 100 different reptiles. Take it with you to the park or zoo and have your own scavenger hunt.
7. Bees and Wasps – What is the difference? Learn that and more about the amazing life of these insects.
8. Poisonous Animals – This beginner is just as interesting for adults as it is for children.
I hope you enjoy this mini unit on bugs with your preschooler!
Thanks for joining me for this month’s Story Corner! Make sure you check out the books and activities that my co-hosts are sharing today as well:
Dusty at To the Moon and Back
Karyn at Teach Beside Me
Jodie at Growing Book by Book
Ashley at Pichea Place
Amy at Wildflower Ramblings
Laura at Sunny Day Family