Summer days are here again and that means time for lots of fun in the sun! Kids love the summertime because it gives them the opportunity to not have full days of school work and enjoy less rigorous schedules too. Here are some summer writing prompts to get their creative juices flowing!
There will be some summer days that being outside just isn’t possible. Whether thunderstorms roll in or the heat is just too much to tolerate, there will be times throughout summer that your kids will not be able to play outside. When those days happen, encourage your kids to share their thoughts on summer days with fun writing prompts like these! While it will be a “school” type activity, writing prompts can be a lot of fun and your kids will enjoy sharing their papers with you when they’re done!
Summer Writing Prompts for Kids
Summer Holiday Themed Writing Prompts
- What I love most about the 4th of July
- What freedom means to me
- I’m proud to be an American because
- What I’ve learned about 9/11
- When I work hard and accomplish my goal I
Summer Themed Writing Prompts
- I dreamed that I was a mermaid and I
- If I met a pirate while out sailing on the sea
- Things I’d like to do this summer
- When the campfire is crackling I wonder
- When I am sitting by the ocean listening to the waves crash by
- With the sand beneath my toes and the sun on my face I think
- If I could travel anywhere this summer I would go to
- If I were a butterfly I would go to
- When clouds roll in and spoil a sunny day I feel
- I would like to invent a new ice cream flavor and it would be
- My favorite summertime activity is
- On a warm summer day I like to
- When I play in the ocean
- When I go swimming in the lake I think
- If I could build an amazing sand castle it would have
- Making s’mores on long summer days is fun because
- If I were a dragonfly I would
- Sitting on the dock as the summer sun sets I think
- Why I love summer
- My favorite memories from this summer
I hope that these fun summer writing prompts encourage your kids to share their thoughts and dreams with you over the summer months! Writing prompts are a great way to help your reluctant writers by giving them a spring board to get started with writing, and your avid writers will enjoy being given a fun topic to write about too!
Below you’ll find a link to a set of printable notebooking pages featuring these writing prompts. I hope your kids have a great time sharing their thoughts and hearts with you all summer long.
What are you favorite summer writing prompts?