This conversation is sponsored by General Mills® via Burst Media. The opinions and text are my own. I did it again. I slept in on a Saturday morning. It seemed like the only day that I could get a break, but then the kids had to wait way too long for breakfast. What happened then? I had a lot of grump-a-lumps on my hands and that made for a really sad Saturday morning. It wasn’t working, so finally my daughter piped up, “Mom, can’t I get everyone breakfast on Saturdays?” Ah! Why was my 5-year-old smarter than me? Yes, yes you can my dear!
I remember when I was young and my mother let me make my own breakfast in the morning. Although it seems like nothing to us now, to a 5-yr-old, getting your own cereal all by yourself makes you feel way grown up. My daughter is especially proud and if I show my face in the kitchen when she’s getting breakfast, oh no! My mother always had Honey Nut Cheerios® in the pantry when I was young. I guess it’s just an ingrained preference, but that’s what we always have in our pantry too. But I know my mother didn’t have a smart phone to help her shop for deals on cereal like I do.
That’s why I love my Ibotta App and check it before I go shopping each week. You have to try it out and get the weekly General Mills® cereal offers at WinCo. Each week from now until May 25th there will be a featured cereal of the week that you can redeem for $1.50! If you buy 5 cereals, you can redeem an additional $2.50! Cereals included in this offer are Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cocoa Puffs, Chocolate Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, Dark Chocolate Multigrain Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Fiber One Protein, and of course, Honey Nut Cheerios! Save up to $14.50 on your favorite cereals! For more information visit Ibotta’s blog.
And when my daughter’s not making breakfast for herself, she’s begging along with her brother and sister for me to make muffins. Of course I will! As long as someone helps me
I have three muffin recipes that I like to rotate through; banana, blueberry, and Apple Cinnamon. The best part is, I use the cereal that’s left over from Saturday mornings as topping for the muffins during the week.
You know that annoying amount of cereal at the bottom of the bag that doesn’t quite make a full bowl? It doesn’t split between 3 children well, but it makes a great crunch topping for the muffins.
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Applesauce (Room Temp/Warmed)
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Lg Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- 2¼ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp plus ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 Medium Apples Chopped or about 2 cups
- 2 tbs White Sugar
- For the topping:
- 1 tbs Melted Butter
- 2 tbs Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Flour
- ½ cup Honey Nut Cheerios® or your favorite cereal
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare your muffin tins with muffin liners or nonstick spray. Combine the white sugar and ½ tsp of the extra cinnamon and sprinkle each sprayed or lined muffin cup with ½ tsp of the mixture.
- Next, Cream ½ cup butter, applesauce, and ½ cup brown sugar. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together 2¼ cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 tsp cinnnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Alternate adding sour cream and the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stir in the apples.
- To make the topping, melt the extra 1 tbs butter and combine it with 2 tbs brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 tbs flour, and cereal.
- Fill muffin cups to the top and add 1 tbs cereal topping to each muffin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 24-28 muffins.
No they don’t look that pretty with the Cheerio® topping, but the crunchy sweetness is awesome! You can use any type of cereal you want. Apple Cinnamon Chex® would be a perfect combination.
Or leave the topping off and eat them with a big bowl of your favorite Big G cereal.
$50 WinCo Gift Card Giveaway!
Do you have any favorite recipes that include cereal? Well here’s your chance to stock up on your favorites. Enter the rafflecopter below!